Sunday, March 7, 2010

Desperately Seeking Suzani


I love suzani prints. I'm currently on a mission to find a suzani on Ebay. I don't even know what I want to do with it yet, but I have to have it. I could make pillows, use it as a throw, reupholster a chair, toss it over my bed as a coverlet... I'll figure it out once I get my hands on one. Authentic (especially antique) suzanis can't cost you in the thousands. Of course, I don't plan on paying anything near that.

Suzani means "needlework". It comes from the Persian word "sozan" meaning "a needle". Authentic suzanis are silk thread embroidery panels constructed by women in Uzbekistan (Central Asia). These were created as dowries for their daughters. Now popular in Europe and the US you can find all sorts of fabrics, home furnishings, etc. in this print. Suzanis come in all sorts of colors and patterns, but I'm partial to the Samarkand suzani from the Samarkand region. Take a look...




Unknown source






Elle Decor Magazine


No comments:

Post a Comment